About our Organisation
Our organisation is called African Sons and Daughters (ASD). ASD is a non-profit organisation focused on the needs of members of the African community in the UK and the Worldwide African Diaspora. ASD offers members of the public the opportunity to contribute and support worthwhile social services offered in their community. Our purpose is to connect like-minded individuals that are committed to establishing social networks with the sole purpose of providing resources and services that improve the well-being of our communities in the U.K and the Worldwide African Diaspora.
ASD Kings and Queens Educational Service (KQES)
Kings and Queens Homework Club Tutors – Homework Club Tutors must be willing to assist students struggling with Maths and English. Sessions are focused on developing core skills with practical tools and support from Club Tutors.
Kings and Queens Online Tutors – Tutors that can teach and guide students during the week.
Kings and Queens Activity Leaders – Community leaders who can offer sessions and activities for our members.
Parent and Family Support – Members of the community that want to be trained to offer support for students and families. School advocates and counsellors skills required.
ASD Tutor Interview and Induction Days
Saturday 6th October
Saturday 13th October
Community Outreach Worker
- Conducting surveys and market research at various locations in London.
- Handing out flyers and promoting our services as well as the services of other organisations.
- Work with other community organisations to assess their needs and capacity and assist them as required.
- Maintain a record of all outreach activities.
- Assist with promoting service opportunities through Facebook, Twitter and word of mouth.
- Assisting tutors at Saturday homework clubs twice a month with teaching which may involve:
- Discussing assigned duties with tutors in order to coordinate tutoring efforts.
- Preparing lesson materials and demonstrations.
- Presenting subject matter to students under the direction and guidance of tutors, using lectures, discussions, or supervised role-playing methods.
- Tutor and assist children individually or in small groups in order to help them master assignments and to reinforce learning concepts presented by teachers.
- Distribute teaching materials such as textbooks, workbooks, papers, and pencils to students.
- Distribute tests and homework assignments, and collect them when they are completed.
- Grade homework and tests, and compute and record results.
- Observe students' performance, and record relevant data to assess progress.
- Prepare lesson outlines and plans in assigned subject areas, and submit outlines to teachers for review.
- Provide extra assistance to students with special needs, such as non-English-speaking students or those with physical and mental disabilities.
- Take class attendance, and maintain attendance records.
Volunteer Tutors needed - Stratford and Edmonton
• Stratford: Docklands Settlements Community Centre, 98 Gibbins Road, Stratford, London, E15 2HU.
• Edmonton: Edmonton Methodist Church, 300 Fore Street, Edmonton, London, N9 0PN.
We are currently recruiting volunteer tutors for our established Kings and Queens Homework Clubs in the areas listed above. We are also interested in individuals that would like to start up a homework club in their area. We want to make a long-lasting difference in our community and provide a safe environment where children can interact with their peers and benefit from additional academic support. Our 3 hour sessions support our students with their school homework and provide additional Maths, English, Science and extracurricular courses throughout the year.
Sometimes the financial cost of extra tuition is a huge factor when parents look at the options for their child’s educational and social development needs.
Frequency and Commitment
We require enthusiastic and committed volunteers that can dedicate 3 hours on a Saturday to support local children with their homework and academic progress.
Tutors will read to students, guide them through pronunciation and explain terms using definitions and real-life examples. Experience working with children is not essential however a friendly approach and a willingness to inspire young people is of the utmost importance.
We require our volunteer tutors to be:
• Great Team Players
• Good Listeners
• Adaptable and Flexible
• Even tempered and to have a good educational understanding of how to teach core Maths, Sciences and English subjects.
This is a perfect opportunity for candidates to develop key skills and experience as well as make a real difference to African and African Caribbean communities living in the U.K. We provide comprehensive training and induction.
Interviews will be held at our head office in Stratford, East London. All successful candidates will be required to do a DBS check. Apply and get involved supporting and inspiring the next generation to achieve their goals and ambitions.
Internship Timeline: 3 months minimum
Closing date: On-going
Estimated hours per week: 10-16
We require the services of an Intern working on a voluntary basis. This is a perfect opportunity for an individual to get work experience in their chosen field at an exciting new organisation. The ideal candidate needs to be friendly and someone who has the ability to multi task when completing their daily duties as follows:
- Data Entry – Enter and update data using MS Office programs.
- Operate and update Facebook and Twitter Pages.
- Assist with any event planning.
- Provide support to Office Manager on special projects and initiatives.
- Assist with general office tasks (filing, copying, etc.).
- Assist with any other tasks as required.
- Must be dedicated to serving the African community living in the U.K and abroad.
- Computer literate – knowledge of MS Office programs is essential.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Detail oriented and good follow up skills.
- Excellent telephone manner.
- Flexible and able to work in teams.
- Excellent Interpersonal Skills.
- Highly organised and able to prioritise assigned tasks.
If this sounds interesting to you, please forward your CV.